Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: Feature request/idea: configuration profiles

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 07:46:13 -0700

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 09:41:03AM +0200, Dick Visser via curl-users wrote:
> Curl supports loading a custom configuration profile with the -K,
> --config <file>.
> But, this requires you to actually know and specify the exact location
> of the config file. It also places restrictions on the name as it is a
> file system path.
> I was thinking about something like configuration profiles, where by
> the configuration file would contains names sections that can then be
> used by just providing the profile name.

I don't see how this feature would really have any net benefit. Yes, a separate
config file would need to have a known path, but if you add new sections to a
single config file you still need to know the path to that file to change it.
It's not a given that a single file is easier to maintain; I would venture that
in more cases it's easier to maintain a single file per configuration. The
feature adds complexity to both the config file and to curl but it doesn't add
any functionality that isn't already available. You'll have to work some more
to sell this feature (to me, anyway, not that I have the final say).

> What do you think? Is this worth a github issue?

If the issue doesn't come with an associated PR, it's likely to be closed in
short order. There's no shortage of good ideas for curl; the shortage is in
good implementations.

Dan